Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Logan's visit to the Neurologist.

Logan went to Our Children's House of Baylor-Grapevine for his 1 year NICU follow-up in August.  This is a place that has followed his development since he was released from the hospital.  They check to make sure he is hitting his developmental milestones within his adjusted age and make recommendations for needed therapy or specialist consults.  Logan has been seeing a Physical Therapist since his 6 month check-up due to some concerns with his muscle tone.  In August, they also had some concerns with his crawling movement patterns (Atypical movement) which caused him to move in a sort of "jerky" or "robotic" way.  They recommended that he see a Neurologist due to his trauma at birth.

When Logan was born, he had what the doctor's called an Intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH).  This is bleeding into the fluid-filled areas (ventricles) surrounded by the brain. Infants born before 30 weeks of pregnancy are at highest risk for such bleeding.  This is because blood vessels in the brain of premature infants are not yet fully developed and are extremely fragile.  Logan had a grade 1 bleed on his right side. This is the lowest grade as the bleeding occurs just in a small area of the ventricles.  Grades 1 and 2 are most common, occurring in about 75 percent of babies with IVH.  I was told by his doctor there was a chance that it would cause some developmental delays, possible learning disabilities, and maybe even Cerebral Palsy.  Often, there are no further complications so I was pleased that the bleed was not worse and took this as a blessing.

I called in August for the appointment with the Neurologist and was not able to get in until November 2nd.  This doctor is supposed to be the best, so I am thankful that we waited.  However, three months of waiting to see if Logan actually has CP was difficult.  I always hoped for the best, but I kind of knew in my heart what the outcome was going to be as I have watched him continue to develop.  He does not like to use his left hand as much as his right hand, keeps it in a closed fist position at times, and seems to balance most of his weight on is right side.  I have been diligently praying that God open my heart to accept whatever the outcome may be, and that is what happened when we went to see the neurologist yesterday.

The IVH on Logan's right side of his brain has affected the left side of his body.  He has Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy on his non-dominant side (left).  Logan has a mild form of CP and I am confident that with extensive therapy and continued support from his doctors, he will lead a very normal life.  Cerebral palsy can’t be cured, but treatment will often improve a child's capabilities.   Many children go on to enjoy near-normal adult lives if their disabilities are properly managed. In general, the earlier treatment begins the better chance children have of overcoming developmental disabilities or learning new ways to accomplish the tasks that challenge them.

One of the side effects of CP is seizures that many times don't show up until age 2 or 3.  Please diligently pray that Logan will not develop these seizures.  Also, pray that he will continue to thrive in his therapy so that he can live the independent and joyful life that every parent wishes for their child. 

My prayer for Logan is that he will grow up to love and honor the Lord and use his story to share his testimony to all those he encounters.   I know this will be a struggle for him and our family, but I have great confidence that God will provide and protect us through it all!

4 comments:

  1. i will keep sweet logan in my prayers! one of cooper's classmates has CP & i believe it is this same type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a journey you are on. Definitely in my prayers...thanks for sharing. Joining in your faith about his future, Jen Soos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth! I am so glad Jenny & I were able to talk and pray with you on Tuesday night. Your blog post is beautifully written, and I am inspired by your faith. Logan is blessed to have such a faithful mom & dad, and I believe God will honor your prayer to use this diagnosis as a way to honor God. I am looking forward to getting to know you better too. See you on Sunday evening! :) Lots of love and prayer, Bethany

    ReplyDelete